Re: [evolution-disc.] Hey, SCCA has a new website

To: "Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [evolution-disc.] Hey, SCCA has a new website
From: Alan Dahl <alandahl@mac.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 09:59:59 -0700
On Apr 15, 2004, at 8:14 AM, Graeme Weston-Lewis wrote:
>  Overall I like the new look.  Much more 21st Century.
>  Then again, I don't think I'll be checking it out much
>  at home over my 26k dial-up connection!

So far it's certainly not an improvement over the old site (which is
saying something, the old site was poor at best). As a programmer I
could go over and over the design mistakes, in fact it's almost
difficult to know where to begin:

- All old internal links are now broken so now all your bookmarks are
bad, they should have been forwarded

- All internal links are of the format
"http://www.scca.org/Solo/ProSolo.asp?IdS=0005B9-7821320&x=050|050&~="
rather than something easily rememberable like "www.scca.org/ProSolo"
so you have to navigate through the main page each time if you don't
bookmark them or are on a new computer

- Organization is haphazard, no easy way to figure out where a
particular item is "Garage" = "Fastrack", huh?

- More than a little garish IMHO

- Requires a large window to view the whole page

- Ssssslllloooowwwww, even on my 3.0 mbps cable connection

- Prior event results are gone

- Online event registration is gone

- ProSolo standings are PDF rather than HTML which requires launching
another program (Adobe acrobat or Apple Preview) to view

- SCCA personnel and their contact info are now gone (except Nancy
Downing who is now the contact for everything Solo)

- Did I mention that it's slow?

Think it's time for SCCA to get a new web designer or at least give the
one they have some usability training!

- Alan Dahl

Alan Dahl                                                 email:
alandahl@mac.com
Federal Way, WA, USA                         ICQ: 52688023
http://homepage.mac.com/alandahl