Re: Longest slalom ever?

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Longest slalom ever?
From: Davard@aol.com
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 00:40:53 -0400
I used to race wth Cal Poly SLO at the Santa Maria Airport. We had a smallish
airplane parking area for the main part of the course and they gave us the use
of one of the taxiways, several hundred yards down to a turn-around (wide spot
on the taxiway). I drove the truck used to carry the cones and tow the timing
trailer, and had a lot of input on course design (which usually consisted of
driving the truck, a '72 IH crew cab 4WD, around while people tossed out cones.

One Sunday morning, the club president says, why don't we just make the taxiway
one slalom? So, I did. I paced out the cones at 25 paces (I'm 6'3"+). I think
that there were 13 cones, but it might have been more. At the end was a gate
with a pin turn on the wide spot on the taxiway, and then you went back through
it all again. It was a FAST slalom (45-50mph), and few people made it through
quickly without tagging at least one cone. The whole thing took about 40-45
seconds to get through.

After 3 runs, people were sick of slaloms, but they sure got good at them.
Nearly everyone enjoyed it, with the caveat of "don't ever do that again!"

David Avard
STS in Kansas