e36 bmw suspension tuning question

To: Evolution Discussion <evolution-discussions@egroups.com>,
Subject: e36 bmw suspension tuning question
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 11:09:39 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

Ok, I have a '93 bmw 325is in "cheap" STX trim.  I have a love hate,
lately mostly hate, relationship with this car.

Current setup is:

Front:
* RD swaybar, using M3 strut housing mounts, soft setting
* GC coil overs, 450 lb-in springs
* Old OTS koni inserts
* -3 deg camber, max caster (6 deg?), 1/8" toe out

Rear:
* RD swaybar (24mm?) stiff setting
* GC adjustable perches, 500 lb-in springs
* OTS koni singles, middle setting
* -2 deg camber, 0" toe

I'm using 17x7.5 '95 m3 rims with 225/45-17 azenis.  Car probably weighs
in the 3200 lb region? (no weight reduction has really been attempted)

Overall the car has one major issue that gives me a ton of trouble.
Initial turn in feel and response (say, the first 10' to 20' into the
corner) is almost non-existant.  One time you turn the wheel and the car
sorta tries to initiate the turn.  Another time and the car just plows.

While I don't suspect my driving is perfect, it doesn't suck either.  Sam
Strano & Nick Flynn, among others, have confirmed my feedback as well.

Steady state, the car also pushes a decent bit, but that at least is
somewhat controllable and you can sometimes overcome it with throttle
(more or less, depending on what's coming next, etc.).  This is a much
more minor issue.

So, how to fix it?  First off, I'll tell you straight away that the front
konis are very likely worn out.  Changing settings from 1/2 turn from full
soft to 1/4 turn from full hard (2.5 turns from full soft) makes very
little detectable difference in how the car feels.  That's counter to
every other Koni I've ever run.  I guess I might be overwhelming the shock
with spring/bar rates, but I tend to think its unlikely.

Unfortunately, it'll cost me $300+ to get new inserts (these were used,
and thus aren't coved by Koni's warranty).  That's $300+ I don't have
right now.

So my 2nd idea was to perhaps try more toe out up front.  Say 1/4" toe
out?  Will that have the desired effect... I.e. will it make the car
respond better/quicker on initial turn in?

I'd also be interested in any other e36 setup info folks might be willing
to share, particularly those of you on 'street' tires.

Thanks!

Mark