Pylon for July 2004

To: "Team.net"autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Pylon for July 2004
From: John Kelly <76067.1750@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2004 13:36:12 -0400
Well, we lost 10 days working on another project. Sorry about that.

North American Pylon for July 2004 is now in the mail.

        This month we're able to add four-color photos on the cover, front
page, and center spread.
        Special this month we present Dick Berger's annual selections on
Who Will Win.
        We wrap up the Mazda Rev-It-Up Tour which will once again have its
championship finale at Mazda Raceway-Laguna Seca on Labor Day weekend.
Recall that Mark Daddio won the Mazda 6 offered as the top prize last year.
This year the top prize is a Mazda 3. Nearly 24,000 participated in the
15-city tour to determine city champions.
Daddio has qualified again as has Steve Brolliar. Pylon readers will
recognize several other names on the City Champions list.

        Our lead story reports on Mark Daddio's D Stock win at the Peru,
IN, National Tour over Rick Hendrick and G.H. Sharp. Also on the front page
is coverage of the Fresno (CA) Chapter event at Castle Field.
        We've also printed a notice, on behalf of the SCCA, seeking people
to apply for membership on the National Solo Events Board. For sure the
Northeast (Mark Sirota) and MiD Div (Colan Arnold) representatives are
retiring. The SEB is appointed to annual (one-year) terms by the National
Board of Directors and serve at their pleasure . . .  or whim. There may be
other slots available on the eight-member board.
        Inside:
                Oscoda, MI, was the center of the autocross universe with a
National Tour, Pro Solo, and CenDiv Series #4. Our report on the Toledo
(OH) Tour, while it says one thing, it really continues on page 17. Only
those people who have never hit a pylon may criticize.
        Mike Maier, Mustang, wins CP two days in a row at the American
Autocross Series.
        Jason Isley, '89 Corvette, had the largest victory margin at the
Bremerton (WA) Tour.
        Stan Vann is quickest at Tidewater SCC's event at Little Creek
Naval Base in Virginia.
        John Sheally II of Morgan fame set FTD at the National Morgan meet
in West Virginia.
        Rocky Entriken writes the farewll obit to the Mirrorkhana which ran
at the Salina (KS) Crawford site. Entriken created the unique un-timed
event 30 years ago.
        The Connecticutt Race & Rally Team (CART) held its June event in
Bristol, CT.
        Old Dominion Region held its June meet at Pungo Field in Virginia
Beach, VA.
        Hawaii Region held its fifth 2004 event at Barber's Point, HI, on
July 4.
        San Francisco Region held its 11th event at Marina (CA) Airport.

Columns:
        Pat Kelly requests you write a letter, two really, one each to the
SEB and the National BoD to express your opinion on the "interesting"
Prepared and Modified proposals.
        Editor John Kelly thanks retiring SEB members Mark Sirota and Colan
Arnold for their services to SCCA's Solo community. He also points out as
slightly wacko the proposal which equates two-valve engines with four-valve
engines as "equal" because the Prepared Committee is proposing "unlimited"
valve sizes. It's also curious that the D Modified minimum weights are
going up monthly: up 200 pounds in July; up another 100 a month later.
        Lorenzo the Scribe, after training by the good Sisters of Eternal
Guilt, admits he wants a faster car.
        Bud Bohrer, twice a B Prepared National Champion in his Sunbeam
Tiger, writes a Guest Column which, in sum, says the Prepared class
proposals are not ready for prime time.
The former SEB member says "The proposed BP, DP, EP, and FP tables and
formulas are a disaster." Currently Bohrer competes in D Modified at the
Solo II Nationals in a shared Lotus Elan.
        Ben Thatcher, whose "Bens' Learning Curve" column appears in Pylon
often, praises the SEB's proposal. Thatcher currently runs a Corvette in
SM2.
        Always on the move, though mostly "Just Idling Around," Abner
Perney writes about his big time auto project, a 1987 Lincoln Town Car,
competing in the parade for the Smoky Hill River Festival.

        North American Pylon is available (@$2) at Tower Books all across
the country in major cities, DeLauer's in Oakland, CA; Autobooks in
Burbank, CA; Can-Am books at Illinois events; and other selected dealers.

Subscriptions are $24 for 12 monthly issues. Subscribe by calling
1-800-58-KELLY during west coast 9-5 business hours and charge it to your
Visa, MasterCard, or American Express card.
        Or, send your check for $24 to: North American Pylon

P.O. Box 1203

Pleasanton, CA 94566-0120

        For Canadian delivery, send $27.50 in U.S. Funds on a U.S. bank.

        Or, check out our Web page at: www.napylon.com

--John Kelly, editor