Trailer Balance question

To: New England Region Solo2 <nersolo@ner.org>,
Subject: Trailer Balance question
From: Matt Murray <mattm@optonline.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 14:10:53 -0400
This question is to the folks who trailer on a regular basis.

My tire trailer, when level is almost balanced, to the extent that the
tongue is relatively light (10 pounds?). I've got about 320 pounds in
wheels/tires, and the trailer itself is about 250 pounds. If I tilt the
tongue up it will eventually flip to the back of the trailer, but when
level, it does stay forward.

Is this safe? I seem to remember 10% of the trailer weight should be on the
tongue. I'd rather put less downward weight on the hitch, unless it is
unsafe. A normal car is towing this, not a truck/SUV.

Matt Murray