Re: Trailer Balance question

To: "Matt Murray" <mattm@optonline.net>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Trailer Balance question
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 00:32:54 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "Matt Murray" <mattm@optonline.net>
To: "New England Region Solo2" <nersolo@ner.org>; "AutoX List"
<autox@autox.team.net>; <evolution-discussions@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, August 18, 2004 1:10 PM
Subject: Trailer Balance question

> This question is to the folks who trailer on a regular basis.
>
> My tire trailer, when level is almost balanced, to the extent that the
> tongue is relatively light (10 pounds?). I've got about 320 pounds in
> wheels/tires, and the trailer itself is about 250 pounds. If I tilt the
> tongue up it will eventually flip to the back of the trailer, but when
> level, it does stay forward.
>
> Is this safe? I seem to remember 10% of the trailer weight should be on
the
> tongue. I'd rather put less downward weight on the hitch, unless it is
> unsafe. A normal car is towing this, not a truck/SUV.

Rule of thumb:

Park your car, no trailer.
Measure distance from bottom of trailer hitch to ground.
Connect trailer.
Distribute load until distance from bottom of trailer hitch to ground is one
inch less than it was trailerless.

Since this is a small car and the trailer is very small, I might consider a
half-inch.

Phil Ethier  West Side  Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
1970 Lotus Europa 65/2597, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1993 Suburban, 1962 TR4 CT2846L
pethier@isd.net  http://www.mnautox.com/  http://www.lotusowners.com
"TOOLS?  Hell, any fool can work with tools.  It takes a real mechanic to
work with this junk." -Orv Ethier, 1921-2004.  First Shot Naval Vets, Pearl
Harbor Survivor.