Re: Seatbelt Allowance

To: "Jason Luhmann" <j.luhmann@mchsi.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Seatbelt Allowance
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2005 00:23:54 -0600
> If I understand correctly the SP rule set would allow you to remove the
front
> seat belt to allow for aftermarket say Sparco harness. What are the
> limitations on this as I have a 91 civic with the door mounted seat belts
> guess one could say they won't infringe on the ability to get aftermarket
> harnesses in so removing them would be illegal right? Although they do
pose a
> bit of a safety hazard just a swinging there on the door, as the other
portion
> the locking portion needed to be removed.

I think you can remove them.  After spending the 1992 season driving one of
these things with the stock belts, I think it would be appropriate to
ritually destroy them in some kind of ceremony. We were running sticky
tires, so about 80% of my energy went into keeping myself in the vicinity of
the driver seat.

The car was leased to my autocross partner, and so I couldn't drill a hole
in the floor for a lap-belt anchor on the door side.

I didn't want to put in a Sparco.  I just wanted to put in a lap belt.  I
was planning on leaving the stock harness intact.  Since I couldn't do the
door side, it was moot what kind of mounting would work on the center side,
so I never designed one.  It is possible that you can find a way to mount a
lap belt on the center side and keep the whole stock harness in.  I'd look
into this and try adding a $25 lap belt from Pep Boys before committing to a
Sparco that may not make you any faster.

Phil Ethier  West Side  Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
1970 Lotus Europa 65/2597, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1993 Suburban, 1962 TR4 CT2846L
pethier@isd.net  http://www.mnautox.com/  http://www.lotusowners.com
"TOOLS?  Hell, any fool can work with tools.  It takes a real mechanic to
work with this junk." -Orv Ethier, 1921-2004.  First Shot Naval Vets, Pearl
Harbor Survivor.