Worker credit

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Worker credit
From: "Larry Steckel" <lorenzoscribe@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 07:22:41 -0400
Guys,

This list has been very, very quiet of late. I assume everyone is on
vacation or on the road to the next National Tour, or fixing the car you
broke at the last event,  So I'm throwing this in as a topic for discussion.

A lot of us autocrossers are SCCA race workers when we aren't killing cones.
  Personally, I hold a National Emergency Services License with the Steel
Cities Region. We do rope tows, manage the ambulance and fire people, make
sure the track is prepared and occasionally do an Exxon Valdez oil dry
cleanup (usually at the end of the session just as lunch time starts ) ahem!

At the last race I worked, I had the opportunity to talk to a Steward in
training who told us that his region gave a dollar credit to all of their
race workers for each day they spent at the track. The credits went to
defray the cost of their SCCA membership.  He said that some of the people
had just about all of their annual membership waived due to the number of
days they worked.

This sounds like a great idea to me. Annual dues for Steel Cities is $75.00.
  If they had this system in effect, and I only worked the days I already
have on my schedule for this season, it would defer just about half of my
membership fees.

What do you all think about doing this as a national program?  Say $5.00
credit per day worked? In effect we could use some days at the track to help
pay for some of our autocross overhead. And we would probably be able to use
this to recruit some new race workers.

Larry Steckel