C5 for autocross

To: "'Team.net'" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: C5 for autocross
From: "Keath Marx" <larrybulk@marx.ws>
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2005 17:41:26 -0400
The wife and I are toying with the idea of getting a C5 to autocross (big
change from my Celica) and were wondering.  How critical is it so get a
manual tranny?  90% of what I see available is auto.  I know someone locally
who runs a C4 with an auto and does very well but he doesn't campaign
nationally all that often.

Here is a list of what I was looking at to replace the celica:
Nissan 350Z
Subaru WRX STi
Honda S2000
2001/2002 Corvette Z06
2000/2002 Corvette
1997/2000 Corvette
2005 Mustang GT
2005 Mazdaspeed Miata MX-5 (does not have the power I would like)
2006 MX-5 (does not have the power I would like)
2006 Pontiac Solstice (does not have the power I would like)
2005 Pontiac GTO
2005 Saab 92x (an overpriced Subaru wrx)
WRX Sedan (Transmission appears to be a weak link in this car)
Subaru Legacy GT Sedan

I have only driven the 350 (once) and the WRX in race trim.  I don't want to
get myself into a class where I will be completely outgunned (I could stick
with the celica for that ;>)

We were kind of leaning toward the corvette because it has always been my
dream car and this would tie in nicely to be able to race it.  Of course I
would like to be able to drive whatever I buy on the street as well as at an
event.

Any advice is welcome.  Thanks