Re: Roll bar allowed in SM class?

To: "Jesse Wills" <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Roll bar allowed in SM class?
From: John Kelly <76067.1750@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2000 16:38:42 -0500

Message text written by "Jesse Wills"

"SM allowances reference Street Prepared which in turn reference Stock, so
IOW the stock allowances apply, AND
"

It's my read that with the Street Mod reference to Street Prepared that you
can do EVERYTHING allowed in Street Prepared and that includes UNLIMITED
rim widths, flared fenders, etc.

But as beginning rule reader might not see that.
It's unfortunate the novice rule writer couldn't see that, either. Or did
he? Maybe he did and wanted some "secret" rules to fool potential drivers.
Or he's just, uh, not too smart. Or he's really smart.

        Did the same guy write the new FP rule which allows some really
humdinger BMW M3s to run in that class against the cannon fodder Datsun Z
cars and Mazda RX7s? A press release that arrived here yesterday boasts how
the 6-cylinder, 3.2 liter, 24-valve M3 for 2001 delivers 420 hp at 8200 rpm
and delivers 300 lb.-ft. of torque at 6000 rpm. This is for a 2420 pound
car to compete in ALMS. (Last year's car had 380 hp and weighed 2535
pounds.)
        Our solo rules allow that car at 2200 pounds in FP. Good luck if
you own an underpowered Nissan or Mazda, especially as the rules require
your car to weigh MORE than the BMW. Ho Ho.

--John Kelly