Re: FW: 2000 PAX Street Touring Index

To: "Craig Boyle" <craig_boyle@yahoo.com>, <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: FW: 2000 PAX Street Touring Index
From: "Jerry Mouton" <jerry@moutons.org>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 22:25:37 -0800
Craig,

We voted to run only STR as out Street Touring class last year.
The logic was that STS cars could run completely according to
national rules inside our Street Tire class.  So we don't dump them
together, they are actually run in separate run groups.

No problem for competitors in ST- ST -- as you suggest, we use the
STR PAX for comparison with other Street Tire cars.  Within the set
of ST-ST cars -- actually STS, exactly -- the PAX they are assigned
makes no difference.  They all have the same index.

If a Street Touring car wants to run PAX class, they need R tires to be
competitive.  Not required of course, but good for one's times.

So I don't get "honoring" the STS PAX.  What having a specific STS index
would do is allow STS drivers to calculate an indexed time that moved
them up in the overall indexed order of finish.  But, this is just a fun
listing
anyway -- there's no sanctioned competition there.  It's a mind game.  And
in the game people can adjust their times any way the want in the privacy of
their
own home -- including calculating their indexed time using the STS index.

What is missing is the STS trophies.  You have to WIN Street Tire to
get a trophy, instead of just winning in the smaller STS group.  The rules
are pretty weird with respect to Street Touring/Street Modified.  They are
defined ONLY in an appendix, unlike the other categories.  In 1999 the
rules made it clear that it was a template for Regional classes.  The
wording
in 2000 is different, and these are Nationally run classes now.  Perhaps
we should review it in the Steering Committee.

I would be happy to calculate ST Street Tire entrants on the overall lists
using the STS index, if there are any competitors who will use it.  Just
have
them come to the Steering Committee and we can work out the details.

We had no ST Street Tire entrants in Round 1.  We had one I saw yesterday,
and he was a first-timer, I think. Who would really be affected by this
issue?
Are you planning to run ST- Street Tire?   I guess it sort of bugs me to
have
people make us do work on strictly theoretical grounds.  I would want to see
group of interested competitors before I voted for any change.  That's how
Street Touring got started in SFR, that's how Karts got started here.
The move to STR instead of STS was at the request of Street Touring
entrants.
What's your interest, Craig?

Jerry

Jerry Mouton        mailto:jerry@moutons.org    Laissez les bons temps