Backfire?

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Backfire?
From: Vitaly Iourtchenko <vitaly@nuance.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 10:25:03 -0800
Hi,

For autocross days, I have a straight pipe that replaces a stock muffler on
the Del Sol. I was kinda lazy to put the muffler back on since the last event,
and have been with a loud exhaust ever since. Now, when I let go of the gas
very abruptly, the car will backfire occasionally. It's not loud as the Jag XKE
that was running in the slush series (that was pretty cool!), but more of a
muffled popping sound. Would this be due to a leaky exhaust system (I doubt it),
or is this a direct consequence of the lack of back pressure?

Surprisingly, my low-end torque doesn't seem to be affected at all (but then
it's hard to tell since the 1.6L doesn't have any torque to begin with).

Am I looking at engine damage if I leave my exhaust in its present state?

Thanks,
Vitaly
#87 CSP