Re: STS Class Supported in SFR

To: lollipop@ricochet.net, Jerry Mouton <jerry@moutons.org>
Subject: Re: STS Class Supported in SFR
From: Andy McKee <andrewmckee@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 11:10:16 -0800 (PST)
> Andy prefers the PAX (Dave Beck) ratings
> over Howard's, at least they're based on some real numbers.
>     Thus, no controversy.

Don't put words in my mouth so quickly, Pat.  I prefer Dave's PAX numbers
because they are at least based on results from SoloII events, not ProSolo.
Pro's require very different PAX numbers because of the nature of the event,
drag start, etc.

However, I don't think the normal PAX ratings for any of the Street Touring,
Street Mod classes, etc. have sufficient statistical basis upon which to make
an "accurate" number.  Least of all STS, because of the huge variable that
street tires represent.  Last year at Nationals there were maybe 2 or 3 Street
Touring (on street tires) cars prepped fairly well according to the rules and
driven by outstanding drivers.  Other National level events and series didn't
see much more participation.  IMHO, that is not nearly enough data on which to
determine a number.  With all of the Street "X" variations this year I think
some of the PAX indexes assigned to them are just WAGs.

Granted, this is probably coming across as a "me me" argument since I compete
in the PAX class.  I understand the limitations of the PAX system and that some
classes have a "soft" PAX, but at least they are in the ballpark if you take a
top car in a given class driven by a top driver.

For PAX numbers I have the following...

STS .783
STR .810
SM  .835

Frankly, I think all of these PAX's are a little soft, especially SM's.  But, I
would have to agree (until proven wrong:-) ) that they are reasonable for
competition in PAXed classes.

-Andy