Re: Flipped car at '99 National

To: "Darren P. Madams" <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Flipped car at '99 National
From: John Kelly <76067.1750@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 11:05:29 -0500

Message text written by "Darren P. Madams"

"Found the quote from Paul Krucke (the guy with the VW Scirocco that
flipped
at Nationals) typos and everything included:
"

That's an interesting quote as it comes from the driver and his own
personal reflections.
HOWEVER, there's another side to it. I have TWO (2) series of photos of him
entering the turn just in front of the grandstand area. His vehicle was
unweighted, i.e. he had BOTH left side tires off the ground. On both of his
final runs. This was at the point he was entering the big U turn before
heading for the three-cone slalom with the off camber bump.
        This can be attributed to
                1) Sticky tires
                2) Driving beyond his personal ability to handle a turn,
i.e. he was overdriving. As he was hopelessly way out of first place, it
appeared to be a VERY desperate attempt to get back in the picture
                3) Driving beyond his car's ability to handle a turn. He
was "throwing" the car into the turns. Obviously it's possible to turn a
Scirocco quite sharply and take it over the edge. Add sticky tires and it
went WAY over the edge.

        Whether it's him or the car, the problem is one that has to be a
concern for every course designer, not to mention our rule makers  (SEB)
and the tire guys who have provided some really sticky tires with the magic
"DOT" embossed on the side.

--John Kelly