Was: Success...; Now: Observations of a Rookie (long)

To: ba autox <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Was: Success...; Now: Observations of a Rookie (long)
From: Jerry Brown <jerbrown@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2000 10:47:48 -0700
Jerry Mouton wrote:
[...]
> Or is there a former rookie who has a complaint, or wants the
> rookie program abolished?
[...]

Shoot, I was going to stay out of this, but... as a 1999 rookie, I don't
really have any complaints, and don't advocate abolition of the rookie
program, but I do have some observations. From my own personal
perspective, existence of the rookie program did not affect my
participation: I wanted to drive, and come hell-or-high-water, I was
gonna drive! I still do, but at different venues. ;^)

I've wondered what exactly the definition of the rookie program is. Is
it the formal pairing of experienced and inexperienced drivers? Is it
separate rookie index classes?

If it's the former, I never saw it. Fortunately, by meeting Jim Ochi
through our common interest in BMWs he  become my de facto mentor
(thanks, Jim!). His coaching greatly shortened the initial learning
curve, and his and Don Ebaugh's willingness to 'caravan' to distant
events encouraged my participation. I can still hear Jim's oft-spoken
in-car advice: brake, brake, BRAKE!!! I was er, slow, to adopt the 'slow
in' concept. ;^)

As far as the latter, I suppose the argument is that separate rookie
index classes encourages newcomers by not discouraging them when they
compare their times to experienced drivers? Truthfully, I felt the best
measure of my performance was against the best in my class, regardless
of experience - and I still do. I mean, rookie classes or no, for the
vast majority of us, there's *always* some one faster. [And some of them
faster folks are women! Sorry, I couldn't resist. ;^)]

Regardless, I'm not sure how either serves to add to the high the number
of participants; I tend to think it's symptomatic of the general rise in
interest as a whole in motorsports, along with the means to pursue them.

Now, what any of this has to do with handling the overwhelming numbers
of event participants is beyond my comprehension. I thought rookie
programs were oriented towards driver development.

It's a simple fact that a finite number of cars can run on any given
day. The problem doesn't seem so far removed from any event that has
limited capacity, such as a concert, or a football game.

So, why not require participants to purchase 'tickets', i.e.,
pre-register. First-come, first served; when they're gone, they're gone.
Perhaps 'series passes' could be sold. Those brave souls willing to show
up without a 'ticket' could buy the spot of someone that pre-registered,
but didn't show. No refunds without prior notice, to keep it simple.

Am I missing something?

-jerry