Over attendence has nothing to do with rookies!

To: ba autox <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Over attendence has nothing to do with rookies!
From: William Davis <davisw@hermes.ssd.loral.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 14:55:47 -0700
Jerry Brown wrote:

> Now, what any of this has to do with handling the overwhelming numbers
> of event participants is beyond my comprehension. I thought rookie
> programs were oriented towards driver development.
>
> It's a simple fact that a finite number of cars can run on any given
> day. The problem doesn't seem so far removed from any event that has
> limited capacity, such as a concert, or a football game.
>
> So, why not require participants to purchase 'tickets', i.e.,
> pre-register. First-come, first served; when they're gone, they're gone.
> Perhaps 'series passes' could be sold. Those brave souls willing to show
> up without a 'ticket' could buy the spot of someone that pre-registered,
> but didn't show. No refunds without prior notice, to keep it simple.
>
> Am I missing something?
>
> -jerry

Jerry,
I've been as baffled as you about this whole discussion pitting rookies vs.
old timers vs.  non-regulars, etc.  As you mentioned, we have a limited
participant capacity, and that's the bottom line.  Unless we succeed in
making this sport miserable to the participants, the attendence is likely
to continue to grow if left unchecked.

I've been involved with moutian bike racing for a few years and I can say
that the concept of preregistering doesn't seem lost on any of its
participants, so I'm sure that autocrossers can handle it too.  These
events are handled by putting a max number on every class, and if your
normal class is full, you enter the next faster class.  This doesn't seem
so hard.  If the event isn't sold out in advance, you can show up and take
your chances...

It seems that this fundamental shift in the way we do things is looming
large and every one is trying their hardest to deny it.  The capacity of
events would no doubt vary from site to site and from winter to summer.  It
might take some trial and error to get it right.  Could handling
preregistration for events could be considered a work assignment, as
opposed to a season/year sentence?

I believe that it's too late for the slush season to implement this (am I
right?), but we could perhaps make it optional in order to practice before
the regular season starts.

Bill (looking forward to discussing the real issue) Davis