Final Topeka update before I fly home...

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Final Topeka update before I fly home...
From: "Darren P. Madams" <darren@madams.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 21:28:10 -0700
I assume you've all seen the results by now.  Basically Sacto and Fresno
rocked and the rest of SFR did decent to completely mediocre... myself
included... mid-pack with plenty of time ahead and below, ugh.  Yes, I'm
disappointed but I guess I shouldn't have expected much more.

Interesting things that happened at nationals that didn't show up in the
results:

A Saturn got way up on 2 wheels on Tuesday.  There's a couple of pictures
floating around, I'm sure someone will post one.  And yesterday an AM car
went over and crunched his wing.  He got out pushed it back to grid himself
and then said "Does anyone have a wrench so that they can get this wing off
while I change the broken wheel."  Gotta love mod car drivers!

A couple of interesting protests... a DM car loosly based on a lotus Europa
got DQd for not having enough of the original floorplan.  And a Vee got DQd
for having effectively 2 carbs when only 1 double barrel is allowed...
interesting stuff!  A little too creative for the PCs tastes, but all
credited his ingenuity.

Talent show was pretty good, but we were so tired by the time it finished
that we didn't stay for the voting and awards.  Carl's video went over
really well.  Less humor acts this year which kind of sucked... gotta do
something funny next year!  As Josh said, no dinner served so light
attendance... Rogert Johnson (Baaaaa) said it best, "these are the true
members of our sport here, the others are just food whores!"  :)

Tonights banquet was long and slow.  Highlights, Pam Kannan won rookie of
the year!  A bunch of Sacto wins and trophies and a couple SFR trophies
(not me).   Lowlights, the food which was almost as bad as the stuff they
tried to serve us on Wednesday.  I guess that's what you can expect when
you're serving this many people!!!

I think most of us are on a 10:00 flight out of MCI so I guess I'll see
some of you at the airport.  The rest I'll see when we get back!

Over and out,

        --Darren "Tired, sunburnt, eye strained, sore legs, and loving every
minute of it"