Slush membership decision background, was Re: New Slush Series

To: Geoff Mohler <gemohler@www.speedtoys.com>,
Subject: Slush membership decision background, was Re: New Slush Series
From: "Donald R McKenna" <donbarbmckenna@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 09:34:27 -0700
To all,

This message is in response to the concerns expressed by both Brooks Talley
and Geoff Mohler (below) in regard to the Steering Committee (SC) decision
to limit Slush series entrants to card CARRYING SCCA members.

What follows is only one SC member's perceptions, mine, of the problem and
the reasons for the imposition of the rule limiting entries to only SCCA
card carrying members.

First: I think the goal of this decision, in anticipation of good turnouts,
later (10 AM) starts at GGF, and shorter days as the Slush Series progresses
towards Winter, is to preserve the opportunity for EXISTING members to be
able to run the events without having to impose numerical limits or
"first-come-first served" restrictions. These kinds of restrictions, we (I)
think, would both dis-proportionately restrict the entries in "afternoon"
run groups and probably lead to a rash of early run group "wrong-run-group"
(WRG) entries. If this latter situation were to occur on a very large scale,
(in addition to the confusion it causes) the class/run group concept, which
is intended to foster better in-class competition, could be seriously
compromised.

Second: Remember, this SC decision applies only to the Slush series and will
be re-visited as the series progresses and before the 2001 Champioship
series begins.. Historically, new operational concepts (experiments) are
tried-out in the Slush Series. The 9-18-00 SC discussion to limit entries,
during the Slush Series, only to card CARRYING SCCA members included and/or
considered the following points.

    1. For many years, SCCA membership was required, in order to be able to
run an event. In the early ninetys, as participation declined due both to
economic conditions and/or the lack of exciting sporty cars, the SC dropped
the requirement for membership in order to increase attendance. That
decision, coupled with the development of the rookie program/classes, turned
the attendance trend around. And, as economic times have improved, and with
more bay area location events, attendance has increased to this point where
we now have too much of a good thing.

    2. Historically, and more so in the last few years, many folks come out,
run one event and, for any number of reasons, we never see them again. Even
since the imposition, in July '00, of the requirement to join SCCA, as a
condition of entering, this "drop-out" rate has not declined very much. It
must be that more folks, in these good economic times, have money to spend
on a one-time "flyer"

    3. The SC believes that processing a membership, from
application-to-recieving a membership card by mail takes three to four
weeks. If the entry is paid by cash or a credit card the entry is sent to
the National office, by the SF Region SOLO II treasurer, as expeditiously as
possible. If the entry is paid by check, processing the membership takes
about a week longer, as the entry is only sent in after the check clears.

    4. The SC members felt that, as a result of requiring a prospective
member to obtain a card before entering their first event, there might be a
reduction in one-time-only participants resulting in a lower "drop-out"
rate. By requiring first time participants to go through the membership-card
"hoop" will clearly reduce the entry level at initial Slush series events
and, quite hopefully, at later Slush events. On the other hand, going
through that "hoop" will probably result in more dedicated first-time
participants who, as a result, will run more subsequent events.

    5. It is the SC's intent that this decision is a "forward", not a
"retroactive", decision. Since the last championship series event was held
five weeks (8-27-00) before the first Slush event (10-1-00), it is expected
that most, or all, who applied for membership at the 8-27, or earlier,
events will have membership cards by 10-1.

    6. Since the three month membership does not include a membership card,
only proof of having paid for the three month membership will be required at
registration. Although I don't think it was specifically discussed during
the SC meeting, the "spirit" of this decision should not require a holder of
a three month membership, once having applied for regular membership, to
wait for the regular membership card in order to enter an event. But,
remember, bring proof of of the three month and/or regular membership
application with you to registration. The goal of the SC in this, and most
situations, is to nurture and retain new members, not drive them away.

    7. Lastly, the SC is determined, since first-time attendees will not be
allowed to enter that day, to guide those, who process applications, to an
experienced autocrosser who can explain the "gig", invite them to go on the
rookie walk-through(s) and, subject to the generosity of other participants,
get them a ride on the course (after they have signed the waiver and
attached the wrist band).

I hope the above information is helpful.

        Don