ye gods, what have I done?

To: "'ba-autox@autox.team.net'" <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: ye gods, what have I done?
From: "Talley, Brooks" <brooks@frnk.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 20:40:42 -0800
Ok, that was plenty of discussion.  Rather than reply to a bunch of threads
seperately, here's the condensed, digest version:

---------

Navid (navid) writes:

>Don't mean to pry, but it's killing me not to ask, how does one get a
>sponsorship from bondage.com?!

It's a long story.  I do database and application work for them, and have a
(small) minority stake in the company for a couple years of uncompensated
work back in the early days.

---------
Elton (Elmoizme) writes:

>Are you going to be tied up with these products while you're driving? That
>would be kewl cause then it would give me an advantage over you :) So if
>that's the case, I have no problems. Unless of course you get mad if I beat

>you (pun intended).

Well, I was planning on you beating me anyway; that's part of the
sponsorship deal.  But I think it would be ok if I beat you, as well.  I
think the key thing is that as long as someone is being beat, they're happy.

---------

Au H. Nguyen (aunguyen) writes:

>If it's only autocross,  do the people at bondage.com
>realize we're not talking Indy 500 here?  Do they
>realize they would get a whopping (N+5)*2 eyeballs
>to see their ad,  where N is the number of entrants
>at an event?

Well, yeah.  But the company owes me some favors, and they're just now
budgeting for more "real world" promotion, so it worked out.  Plus the car
might appear at industry trade shows (there's a whole nother story there!).

---------

Ok, that's all.  I'm leaning against it at this point, based on Rich's post.
I'm trying to get an answer out of the national office as well, since I'm
planning on going to a couple of national tours and pro solos.... but they
are much less willing to give an actual opinion than this crowd.  They like
to say things like "um, well, it depends, on, well, there's this one clause,
but it's up to the event people, and we're not sure who they are yet."

Thanks, all.  I appreciate the input and I'll certainly welcome any further
opinions, on list or in private email.  See you all on the 28th!

-b