RE: "objectionable" sponsorship?

To: "'Smokerbros@aol.com'" <Smokerbros@aol.com>, EJ.Bayliss@sbcdo.com,
Subject: RE: "objectionable" sponsorship?
From: "Kelly, Katie" <kkelly@spss.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 11:18:04 -0800
Charlie Davis writes...

>But wouldn't you expect to see things like that at a site called
>"bondage.com"?  Would you go to a site with that name if such things
offended
>you, unless of course you were doing it for the purposes of research as an
>investigative reporter?

Excellent question, Charlie. Talley, if you just showed up at an event one
day with this decal on your car, I really wouldn't care. I'd roll my eyes or
something.

But Rich U. brought up some other good points about sites and impressing the
locals. And Darren mentioned all those laws.

You see, in America, we are completely free. We can say whatever we want,
but at such a price!

But you did ask, though, Talley, about setting a precedent. Has something
similar been done before?

Although she downplays this significantly now, there was a very successful
Nationals and ProSolo competitor sponsored by Steel Kittens. I'll let you
conduct your own research as to what that one's all about.

She just did it. She didn't ask for permission. She just put the decal on
her car. I think there were people offended, possibly, but more than that, I
think some others used it as another reason not to like somebody. Some
people enjoy not liking other people. They'll find anything. It's really a
tool to keep them from reaching their own goals. There are so many WORSE
things to find offensive!

You're always going to run the risk of offending somebody. This is really a
question about what's important to you. If sponsorship is that important to
you, you're not going to care what other people think. I know that there
were some people who looked at the Steel Kittens decal with disgust. I know
this because they told me. But in the whole grand scheme of things, this
woman is still happy and content in her life, because she has her plan and
she's following it.

If you don't have a moral problem with bondage.com, I don't see what the
problem is. I'm sensing that you do have a problem, though, maybe in the
back of your head, otherwise you wouldn't have asked. Even if you say you
have no ability to gauge what's "proper" and what isn't, if you like
tattoos, are you going to ask EVERYONE what they think about tattoos before
you got one?

Most people's opinions are seriously flawed to begin with, so who cares.

Just my opinion.

Katie K.