RE: Police Driving Course (and 9C1s)

To: "'Kevin Stevens '" <kevin_stevens@hotmail.com>,
Subject: RE: Police Driving Course (and 9C1s)
From: "Runnion, Ed" <Ed_Runnion@regionofdoom.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 13:46:58 -0800
>Your car works amazingly well, Ed

Thanks!   Despite the weight, the chassis IS better set up than one would
first think for handling.    F/R weight distribution is better than you'd
think (about 57/43 F/R stock) and there ARE quite a few parts available to
help handling.

>I think the biggest constraint it has is the automatic tranny hunting.

Well, depends on the course.   With my stock gearing, on some (tight)
courses I never DO shift!    1st gear (if you are willing to run it right to
the rev limiter) is good for almost 50 MPH in my car.

But, on course sections where you go faster than that (i.e. the bigger
slalom on Sunday), yes it can hunt sometimes.   Namely, you have to REALLY
hit the gas (and practically assure the rear end will break loose) to force
a downshift to 1st gear.

>If that has the electronic transmission in it, a reprogrammed controller
>would be the single best thing I think you could do for your car.

It does (4L60E tranny, electronically controlled 4 speed OD automatic), and
it is reprogrammed/reprogrammable via the PCM (powertrain control module).

However, better would be getting a reprogram that will "hold" it in gear
(i.e. put shifter in "2", it will stay in second no matter what) for any
non-OD gear.   Basically, make it into an "Autostick" tranny with quick
shifts.

Well, REALLY better will be to convert to a T56 6-speed manual, and that is
my plan for later this spring :^).

Ed Runnion       Santa Clara CA
mailto:Ed_Runnion@RegionOfDoom.com
96 Chevy Impala SS, ESP #984