Re: numbers

To: Patrick Jones <axng4me@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: numbers
From: Pat Kelly <lollipop@ricochet.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2001 16:58:17 -0800
        Should I talk about tradition? And numbers, all at once?
        At the registration table is a small black book with tabs for all the
classes. Every member who wants to can sign up for a permanent number in
his/her class in that book, every year. The numbers do NOT carry over to
the next year because there is far too much "rollover" in the
membership. To reserve a number for 2001, you MUST sign up for the
number in the current year.
        Then you make/purchase the number yourself from any source you desire.
        Registration, if possible, may have paper numbers available at each
event, a set of two, for each side of the car. Literally speaking, those
paper numbers are not legal because their size is wrong, according to
the rules, but the are a heck of a lot easier to read than masking tape,
shoe polish, etc. numbers. They are also NOT your permanent number.
        Also, when you make/purchase your permanent number, please get the
class designation, too. For instance, during the OSP group, it was hard
to tell if the drivers were in OSP or some other class.
        The numbers (okay, you've seen this before) should be a contrasting
color to the paint on your car, dark/light; light/dark, so they can be
read easily.
        The reason for numbers is so times can be accurately attributed to the
quick drivers who turned them...
        Seeing as how Nationals allows numbers under 200, I think we should,
too. If you decide to go to Topeka some day, you'll be ready, at least
with your numbers. There's more to national numbering: When a car is
shared by two drivers, one can run 9, the second driver then uses 109;
if the first driver has 50, the second driver has 150; if the first
driver has 99, the second driver should used 199. We don't need to stick
to that, and don't, but that's the way it's done in Topeka.
        So far, unless something has changed, numbers such as 300, 400, etc.
are not allowed at Topeka. Just a note, and if anyone knows some later
info, please pass it on.
--Pat Kelly