More on the swaybar saga...

To: "Bay_Area_Autocross_List" <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: More on the swaybar saga...
From: "Scot Zediker" <roadsterboy@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2001 12:05:37 -0800
Well, since posting about my broken mounts yesterday, I have learned the
following:

- In addition to the four bolts holding each mounting bracket in place,
there are two spot welds, one on the inboard side and one on the outboard
side.  The welds have to be drilled out to remove the brackets.

- Mazda Competition sells reinforced swaybar mounting brackets.  Are they
legal for Stock? (Since the Stock category rules are silent on swaybar
mounts, I presume no, but it never hurts to ask...)

- If one is REALLY industrious, one can make one's own brackets.  One guy
who responded to this question on the Miataforum has made his own brackets
from aluminum blocks (this one I'm pretty sure is DEFINITELY NOT
Stock-legal).

So, let's say I go with OEM mounts.  Can I get away with just bolting them
on, or do I have to spot weld them as they were done from the factory? I ask
because I do not own a welder, nor do I know anyone who does.  (that said,
welding would be a good idea if only cuz the brackets wouldn't slip)

Thanks for your help, and also for letting me ramble...

Scot
'91 CS Miata