THANKS! (observations from a first time event chair)

To: "'ba-autox@autox.team.net'" <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: THANKS! (observations from a first time event chair)
From: "Runnion, Ed" <Ed_Runnion@regionofdoom.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 11:19:14 -0800
I'd like to post and say THANK to all of the MANY individuals who helped out
in running the AutoX yesterday.    I'd say that we had a pretty successful
event, and I'd be lying if I said I was 100% confident in that happening as
of 7AM on Sunday morning :^)

Also of course, a HUGE thanks to Ben Martinez!   Without him stepping up to
the plate to be the "experienced" co-chair, I can DEFINITELY say that
yesterday would have gone nowhere near as well.

As a first-time event chair, I can now say that because of all of the folks
who are MORE than willing to go WAY above their "fair share" of the
workload, these events not only run smoothly but are even possible!

For those thinking about "diving in" and chairing an event for the first
time, I can tell you now "Just Do It" (do I have to pay royalties for saying
that?).    You WILL be busy all day, but you WILL get thru it and it isn't
as bad as you think it will be.   You WILL find plenty of folks willing to
help out and do the "extras", all you have to do is ask!

And for those who are active participants but not quite ready to dive in as
an event chair (i.e. me last year, for instance), I urge you to try and
learn some new jobs.   It is ALL "on-the-job" training around SFR, and the
jobs are not that difficult to learn.   Just spend a little extra time (i.e.
run your group, work your group, and then the "extra" job for a third group)
by "tailing" a job you want to learn about.   If you want to learn how to
run Tech, just volunteer to help.   If you want to see how the Motorhome
crew runs, just watch!    This not only benefits you, but also benefits SFR.

So once again, THANKS to everyone who helped make yesterday's SFR event so
successful!

Ed Runnion          Santa Clara CA
mailto:Ed_Runnion@RegionOfDoom.com
96 Chevy Impala SS, ESP #984