RE: Bay Area Dyno ?

To: "Brad Martinson" <brad@rahul.net>, <ba-autoX@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Bay Area Dyno ?
From: "Michael R. Clements" <mrclem@telocity.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 12:47:46 -0800
If rough (+/- 3 hp) numbers are good enough, and you know exactly what your
car weighs -- not curb weight but weight ready to drive with you in it, which
is about 250 lbs. higher than curb weight -- and you can find a nice flat
straight stretch of lonely road, than a G-Tech pro might be good enough.
http://www.gtechpro.com

Whether you do it this way or in a dyno shop, it's important to control for
atmospheric conditions. Temperature, barometric pressure and humidity together
can make as much as +/- 5% difference. That doesn't sound like much, but
sounds bigger if you think of it as a 30 hp range of error on a 300 horsepower
car. And this doesn't even take altitude into account. In my RX-7, at sea
level, the difference between a cold, dense air morning and a hot summer
afternoon was at least 25 hp.