[Fwd: plans to change Speedvison to NASCAR channel]

To: Bay Area Rx7 Club <BARx7club@autox.team.net>,
Subject: [Fwd: plans to change Speedvison to NASCAR channel]
From: Johann Schubert <jes@rx7.org>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2001 12:43:37 -0700
I let Fox know I am not happy about their plans.... Please feel free to
edit as appropriate, pass on to other lists and send a copy youself.
NOTE: This letter has some specific commenets for DirecTV.

If you are a DirecTV customer, you can let them know at:
http://www.directv.com/yourservice/yourservicepages/0,1125,93,00.html

And the online petition site for those that haven't already recieved it:
http://www.petitiononline.com/svsn/petition.html

John

-------- Sample Message -- CUT HERE    --------
To: listings@speedvision.com,
info@speedvision.com,
feedback@foxsports.com,
"http://www.directv.com/yourservice/yourservicepages/0,1125,93,00.html";
<direcTV@URL.!email>

from: http://charlotte.bcentral.com/charlotte/stories/2001/06/25/story1.html

> The plan is to convert Speedvision, an existing cable network reaching 41
>       million households, to the NASCAR Channel.

> Qualifying runs, highlight shows and replays of classic races will
>     provide ample NASCAR programming, up to 12 hours daily.
>     Lesser-known NASCAR series will also be featured. The rest of the
>     schedule will come from open-wheel racing, automotive shows and more.
>
>     "We don't think it can be just NASCAR 24 hours a day out of the gate,"
>     Brooks says. "It will be a co-branded channel with our name on it and
>     some other racing elements. That's probably the right mix to get us
>     started."

To:  FOX television and affiliates

     This email is intended to discourage FOX television from transforming
     the newly purchased Speedvision network into an all-NASCAR channel. I
     understand the significant investment FOX has made in promoting stock
     car racing. I urge you not to change the outstanding programming
     presently shown on the totally unique Speedvision network. Speedvision
     provides a crucial service to the motorsports community, being the only
     cable or broadcast TV network in America to provide in-depth coverage of
     Formula 1, vintage, motorcycle, sports car and endurance racing, as well
     as amateur and other lesser known series and events such as FIA and SCCA
     rallies, Trans-Am, and the annual SCCA Valvoline Runoffs. This season's
     flag-to-flag coverage of the Daytona, Sebring and Le Mans endurance
     races was a rare blessing for racing fans. It would be a crime for this
     outstanding coverage to no longer be available to the growing
     motorsports community of this country. I ask FOX not to reformat this
     new addition to their fine news, sports and entertainment network, but
     instead, create a new NASCAR channel.

     If Speedvision is significantly changed from it's current programming,
     I will discontinue the DirecTV sports package that I currently subscribe
     to for the sole purpose of receiving Speedvision.

Sincerely,