Re: Cheap Gas?(or how do you thread this)

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cheap Gas?(or how do you thread this)
From: Smokerbros@aol.com
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 22:26:33 EDT
lomike@earthlink.net writes:

> My definition, to wit the  "claim it " piece, is that the winner has to be
> willing to sell any non-stock part on the car to any 2nd-nth place finisher
> for the equivalent price of a replacement stock part.
> Obvious exclusions are such non-performance parts as after-market
> stereo , fuzzy dice , etc. but anything from $60 foam air filters or nine
> lb. forged alloy wheels to $800. custom made shocks would be available from
> the winners car for the price of a stock part.

This sounds like a good way for one person to pester the Hell out of another
one with no real benefit to the sport.  The protest system we have is just
fine.  what you're trying to do is re-write the rules without actually
re-writing the rules.  If any wheel is allowed, fine.  If you want everyone
to use OE wheels (etc.), then just say so...

> I would think there should be a tire speck such as the 120 twi used in
> novice/street tire too.

As soon as you apply this on the National level, you encourage cheating.
Treadwear numbers are not enforced by NHTSA, it's more like they are
"suggested."  Hoosier could put 120 on its tires, and as long as the general
public doesn't sue them for false advertising, nobody cares.

   > est anyone wish to cast aspersions at my intentions for asking, make no
> mistake about it , I'm in and intend to play. It's that I've heard that
> there is a recruitment & retention issue in the club and think that if we
> really want people to believe the hype about being able to race your daily
> driver it behooves us to present them with a class that is TRUELY low

I understand your point, I just think it's naive to think there are easy
solutions.

CHD