FrontSwaybar rule (was: Stock Classes (was: Cheap Gas))

To: john@idsfa.net
Subject: FrontSwaybar rule (was: Stock Classes (was: Cheap Gas))
From: Smokerbros@aol.com
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2001 12:31:32 EDT
John writes:

> The way I heard it, this was a safety measure for the Volkswagens
> which would otherwise slam into the front bump stops and tend to
> flip.  It doesn't make a lot of sense for other vehicles (especially
> most "sporty" FWD cars, where ideally you would get a stiffer *rear*
> swaybar, and the only alternative is a smaller front swaybar -- which

The way I heard it was that the front bar on rear engined cars was to keep
the rear end from coming around and the swing axles folding under, then
tripping the car into a roll.  I've never heard anyone actually say "I was on
the SEB and this is why we allowed it."  Some FWD cars use a stiffer front
bar to keep body roll induced camber loss down, which actually reduces
understeer.  The old "stiffer front bar = more understeer" adage isn't a
universal truth.

CHD