Stock Classes (was: Cheap Gas)

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Stock Classes (was: Cheap Gas)
From: Smokerbros@aol.com
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2001 01:35:13 EDT
I'll throw my 2 cents in on Stock class rules.  Most of them used to make
sense.  20 years ago, you could buy aftermarket shocks, wheels and mufflers
for a LOT less than OE (Original Equipment) parts.  Some of this is still
true, on various models of cars and with respect to certain aftermarket
shocks.  Of course, some manufacturers have exploited these allowances over
time.  But some of the allowances (front swaybar, for instance) dramatically
affect the relative performance of Stock cars.

Eliminating the front swaybar allowance will completely alter the
competitiveness of some cars, but not affect others at all.  There would have
to be a complete shuffle in the classes if we go back to OE front swaybars.
Are we ready to accept 2-3 years of classing instability?

So, what limits should be put on these items, and how should they be
enforced?  I'll take a stab (or 2) at most of the Stock allowances...

Here's my idealistic approach:

1) Eliminate the front swaybar allowance. (NO one knows why we have it...)

2) A) Allow alternate wheels, as long as they are not lighter than OE
    B) Allow alternate wheels and establish a reasonable minimum per wheel
          diameter.
    C) Not allow alternate wheels (this totally screws lots of competitors,
though.  There are still car companies charging $300 per wheel)

3) A) Allow alternate shocks with an approved alternate list (it would be a
long list)
    B) Allow alternate shocks with specific limitations (one external
adjustment, sealed tube construction) if we can figure out what will keep the
expensive ones out.
    C) Allow only OE shocks (there will be LOTS of cheating this way, there
was in Showroom Stock roadracing)
Note: I think something beyond OE is needed to keep stockers off their lids
with the current tires.

4) Eliminate the braided brake line allowance (stupid)

5) Leave all the other allowances alone

Don't even get me started on tires...

CHD