Re: Got shocks! Now what?

To: Jake Hodges <jake_hodges@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Got shocks! Now what?
From: "John J. Stimson-III" <john@idsfa.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 15:07:38 -0700
> I'd like to understand more about the physics of suspension and what will
> happen when I twist the little knobs on my new shocks.  Can anyone point me
> to a resource on the web or a reasonably "accessible" book?  I'm not afraid
> of physics, but I do like books with colorful pictures too.

_How to Make Your Car Handle_ by Fred Puhn is a good book.

Basically, you can help to balance your handling between understeer or
oversteer, at least in transitions.  Stiffer in the front will lead to
understeer, and stiffer in the rear will lead to oversteer.  My guess
with the del Sol is that you will want to go extremely stiff in the
rear, and not so stiff in the front.

As for an alignment, take it to Jack.  Honda FWD suspensions aren't highly
adjustable, but he knows how to tweak things around.

--

john@idsfa.net                                              John Stimson
http://www.idsfa.net/~john/                              HMC Physics '94