Safety note

To: "'ba-autox@autox.team.net'" <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Safety note
From: "Runnion, Ed" <Ed_Runnion@regionofdoom.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 21:36:44 -0700
For those that don't know, there was an SCCA AutoX event held at Summit
Point Raceway (WV) this past weekend where there were THREE major wrecks!
Good news is that no one was seriously hurt.   Bad news is that 3 cars
(prepared Saturn, Boxster S, Corvette) were all badly damaged or destroyed.

http://www.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71693

A friend of mine (with a 625 HP Impala SS : yikes!) was there as well and
wrote about it.    I know he was quite sobered to see 3 cars wreck like
that!

So, what can we take from it?    Just keeping in mind (as course designers
AND participants) that following our safety stewards advice to keep the
sport SAFE is a vital part of it!   While doing 100 MPH in the Candlestick
Parking lot SOUNDS like fun, it's probably a bad idea (tm) from a safety
perspective.    And maybe, just maybe, running an AutoX on a ROAD RACE
circuit is not the best idea :^).

Ed Runnion        Santa Clara CA
mailto:Ed_Runnion@RegionOfDoom.com
96 Chevy Impala SS, #98 ESP