Re: Correct tire temps Was: Dry Ice

To: Donald R McKenna <donbarbmckenna@earthlink.net>, Eljssp8@aol.com,
Subject: Re: Correct tire temps Was: Dry Ice
From: craig boyle <craig_autox@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 13:57:17 -0700 (PDT)
Thanks Don, I kinda knew you'd be the one with some
real data.!

--- Donald R McKenna <donbarbmckenna@earthlink.net>
wrote:
> Just curious, how? I keep my engine running between
> runs so, that helps the
> fronts but the rears are "on-their-own
Engine running - and do a little burnout after the
green flag but before the timing light for the rears.
The old BFG R1's seemed ultra temperature sensitive in
this regard, anything below 60 degrees and they just
didn't work. I'm hearing of folks putting
(non-electric) blankets over tires between runs

> My fronts, generally, get a lot hotter than my
> rears, and although I don't,

I'd measured (on a clockwise course) my front left and
rear right getting hottest - with corresponding
pressure increases. It's been a while, so I'll try
this with NASA at the weekend to validate. This may
indicate a problem with my driving/setup.

> regularly, measure temps the fronts will frequently
> get too hot for me to

Is your hand for rent :-)

> Seat-of-the-pants conclusion: I probably wasn't
> getting my fronts to more
> than 120-130 on first runs and after watering
> (tread, sidewalls and wheels)
> probably got them down to 100-110. They definitly
> worked better in the lower
> temp area on later runs.

OK, that's a starting point, I'll see if I can hold
Hoosiers at 110. Now I only have to find my
pyrometer...

Craig
http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/