RE: Fw: CA Special Alert

To: <nokones@kenmitchell.com>, "Michael R. Clements"
Subject: RE: Fw: CA Special Alert
From: "Michael R. Clements" <mrclem@telocity.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 20:37:25 -0700
Kenneth,

Some assumptions in your message:

When a police officer in the USA asks to search a person or his vehicle, and
the officer has no probable cause and does not have a warrant, it is a
request, not an order.

The concept that anybody who exercises his right to be free from
indiscriminate searches and other police intrusions, must have something to
hide, is the antithesis of freedom and quite frankly, un-American. The
American justice system is based on the idea that it is better to let nine
guilty men go free in order to protect the one innocent man, than it is to
do the reverse. At least six amendments to our Constitution are there to
protect that one innocent man. If you have a problem with that, it is your
right as an American citizen to try to change this. But it's not going to be
easy, since it is embedded in the very core of this nation and our laws, and
has been for over 200 years.

Regards from an idealistic American,

P.S.
I'll be glad to continue the conversation in private email, or in person
over a beer or two, but no more on the email list!