Re: CA Special Alert

To: "Kelly, Katie" <kkelly@spss.com>, <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: CA Special Alert
From: Lolita and Mike <lomike@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 20:12:14 -0700
on 8/16/01 10:06 AM, Kelly, Katie at kkelly@spss.com wrote:

> I would just like to comment on this civilians' rights versus police state
> issue. I just went out to dinner last night with a very good friend of mine,
> who is also a public defendent.
>
> She gets a LOT of cases of police brutality, if not just plain meanness. She
> gave me some examples that are downright scary. She usually wins.
>
> What she finds is that most often those who work in the law enforcement
> industry are bullies themselves. She said it is imperative that you be
> careful at all times when dealing with the police. Treat them with respect.
>
> That absolutely does not mean you should let them search your vehicle if
> they ask without a search warrent. The police, most often times being high
> strung over-testosteroned males themselves, often go looking for trouble. I
> am speaking in grand generalizations, most coming from articles and research
> I've read over the past ten years or so, personal experiences told to me,
> and witnesses myself, and from my friend Christine's experiences as a public
> defendent. This does not mean police offers treat everybody unfairly. In
> fact, I would say that in general, the CHP and local police do outstanding
> jobs. I like the police, myself.
>
> But you do need to be careful. Christine told me a story of a woman
> handcuffed and battered because of an alcohol blood level reading of .02.
> She won that case.
>
> Being polite and cordial to the police is one thing, complying to the law is
> one thing, but complying to the every wish of a police officer is something
> else, and absolutely NOT required by law. As a responsible American citizen,
> you absolutely must not stand for this. Just for heaven's sake be polite
> about it. It's rudeness that marks the decay of our society.
>
> We need more politeness and better public transit.
>
> If the police asked you to strip naked and do the hokey pokey, would you do
> that, too?
>
> Power to the people,
> Katie K.
Katie, I will not argue your point that we as a people need to learn to
respect each other enough to be polite in our interactions, however in the
case of the police I believe the appropriate term is civility. They should
be treated with it and you should expect it in return.
Part of the basic problem is that we, as a collective people , are so
hypocritical in our expectations of our public employees in general and law
enforcement personnel in particular.
Who on this list has never violated a posted speed limit?
When was the last time you put any effort into changing the one you
violated?
Don't even get me started on drug laws and the like.
Just my 2 cents.
MJ