Re: THINK ORGANIC

To: CMerritt@luminous.com (Carl Merritt)
Subject: Re: THINK ORGANIC
From: Darren Madams <darren@madams.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 09:19:34 -0800 (PST)
You guys think you're joking about all this autocross to horse
correlation, but it's actually surprisingly similar!

My fiance Sarah does show jumping and cross-country events (when
her horse is not at the mechanic... err vet).

There's lots of cheating going on in the food area.  Drugs are
strictly limited (and tested, now there's a work assignment you
don't want) but the mixture of food has more calories and
energy than a gallon of gas sometimes!  Ironically, they call it
"Rocket Fuel" much like we do in the karting world.  Of course
those race horses run a little rich sometimes. :)

They modify their shoes, and in fact want the lightest rims they
can get their hands on.  They also change the alignment and the
balance (corner weighting is popular, with wedges under the rear
shocks (and yes, they do have shocks)).

They do have modified horses, but they go way beyond "Best of
Breed classing"... they cross all kinds of different horse types
to get the best of all worlds.  Imagine Miata handling, with
Corvette Power, Porsche finesse and Honda reliability.  It's just
a thoroughbred, german warmblood, connamera-cross away :)  It's
kind of like the ultimate update/backdate.

The funniest thing is their "FastTrack" things that come in their
monthly membership magazine: "So and so, owner of horse #58 in the
so and so class protested someone else, rider of horse #23 for
violation of competition rules 7.9.c.topofthepage.IIV.subsection2.
The appeals court finds that no additional information was
presented, and the appeal fee will be retained."  Actually, some
of the penalties for drugging (fuel cheaters) are pretty damn serious.

And don't get me started about "apexes", "looking ahead", "proper
hand position", "visualizing", etc., etc.

They don't have tech though, but their helmets are certified. And
you thought karters get dressed up in funny looking outfits!
There's a class where they're required to carry a lunchbox with
a sandwich cut into traingles and wrapped neatly in plastic wrap
and nothing else.  Seems like SM and a "spoiler must be >6" high
and exhaust no less than 4" wide" :)

I make none of this stuff up.

        --Darren