Scam artists

To: "BayArea Team.Net" <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Scam artists
From: "John F. Kelly Jr." <76067.1750@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 22:44:05 -0500
Warning: The following is an introduction to a scam, confirmed by the FBI.

Be careful should you receive a similar message. These few paragraphs are
the beginning of the third one received here.

DR. EDWARD BALARABE.
DIRECT FAX; [deleted}
Attn: President/CEO.
Dear Friend,
REQUEST FOR ASSISTANCE
l am Dr. Edward Balarabe, the Co-ordinator of the contract Review Panel of
the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) of the Federal Republic
of Nigeria.
Sometime Ago , a Contract was awarded to a Conglomerate of Foreign
Companies
by my Committee on behalf of the NNPC. The Contract was Overinvoiced to the

tune of US$32.5 Million (Thirty Two Million Five Hundred Thousand united
states Dollars). This was done delibrately by one of my colleagues and l to

benefit from this project. This funds are presently lying in the NNPC
accounts having observed all laid down protocols. This surplus US$32.5
Million is what we ask that you help us receive, by providing an account
for
lodgement of the funds since it is forbidden for us government workers or
people in public office to operate foreign bank accounts under our
government policy.

<snip>

Nigeria seems to be the source for the above but I also received one from
Holland but it, too, claimed to be money obtained illegally from Nigeria.
--John Kelly