RE: Allowable Shocks in Stock Class

To: "'MrPepsi\(Brent Johnson\)'" <Soloii@mrpepsi.com>,
Subject: RE: Allowable Shocks in Stock Class
From: "Michael R. Clements" <mrclem@telocity.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 13:18:02 -0800
The GAB Super R shocks for the 3rd gen RX-7 were 8-way adjustable, and
MANY people (including myself) were using these shocks and running in
Super Stock, so I ass-u-me they were legal for stock.

Thus the phrase "two external damping adjustments" might mean the KIND
of adjustment -- for example, a compression adjustment and a rebound
adjustment. In this sense, the GAB Super R shocks only had 1 external
damping adjustment, even though that adjustment had 8 positions. It did
not have separate compression & rebound adjustments.

I wonder what exactly is meant by "external"?

Example 1: the GAB super-R adjusted with a knob on the side of the
shock. Is that external?

Example 2: the Carrera Coilovers adjust by removing the shock from the
car, removing the spring, removing the bump stop, compressing the shock
completely while rotating, then reassembling and reinstalling the shock
and then resetting the ride height of that corner. Is that also
external?

My intuition says example 1 is external and example 2 is NOT external,
the key difference being that "external" means the shock easily can be
adjusted while at an autocross. Just a guess on my part...