RE: street tire class? (hi!)

To: Phil Esra <pesra@yahoo.com>, ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: street tire class? (hi!)
From: "Thana, Peter {High~Palo Alto}" <PETER.THANA@ROCHE.COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 14:26:49 -0800
Almost all of the STS/STX people run Falkens, but there is still a pretty good
variety of tires in our local Street Tire class.  The top 3 trophy spots in
this year's slush were on the Azenis.

They are pretty darn grippy, and really show their strength at asphalt sites
like 3Com and Oakland.  I tried them once on concrete and the gap to R tires is
still huge- my guess 2 seconds to Kumhos and more to Hoosiers (60 sec. course).
 At Oakland my guess is not much more than a second difference to Kumhos if
that (in line with GRM test performed on slippery asphalt).  At GGF they seemed
pretty good until they got down to the wear bars, and became undriveable after
that.  I had no traction whatsoever with the rears at the wear bars, moved
those to the front for the next event and the car just went straight under
power.  You of all people should know how hard it is to get an MR2 to handle
like crap, I've never experienced it under any condition before (ok except when
I ran the Duel at DeAnza in the rain on Hoosiers:)  Went back to Oakland and
the balance was perfect again.

Peter