Re: Stupid camber tricks...

To: <ba-autox@autox.team.net>, "Jake Hodges" <jake@codeworm.com>
Subject: Re: Stupid camber tricks...
From: "James Creasy" <james@thevenom.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 23:51:33 -0800
you can do away with not only the sway bars, but the suspension geometry
(e.g. a-arms mcphersons), springs and shocks and have the car suspended
completely on hydraulic lifts if your hardware software is good enough to
simulate the needed adjustments in height (e.g. sensing a small bump
encountered by the right front wheel and adjusting the suspension height to
keep the rest of the car level).  the car can then sense the amount of
lateral acceleration and adjust the relative ride heights to maintain even
weight on all four tires, thus using all of them to the maximum
effectiveness all the time.  sway bars are an incredibly primitive (and
passive) system of redistributing weight transfer.

the sci-fi last step is to have a recording process during the course walk
which is fed into the control system, then the human driver fine tunes the
desired line, and the car can drive the course.

im not sure if the driver is required to be inside the car during the run
(or, indeed, if the driver has to be human), but ive also considered using a
video and remote control system which would allow you to eliminate the
driver's weight.  this would be most effective and easiest in something like
a kart, although perhaps certain computer controlled cars could be
interfaced with a controller application.

-james