Sportsmanship/ Camaraderie

To: <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Sportsmanship/ Camaraderie
From: "Lolita Adrien" <lomike@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 20:39:56 -0700
WARNING
I don't write as well as Katie.
If you don't like warm and fuzzy stories... hit the delete now.
If you are in this sport for the relationships it builds, sit down,read on.

I don't know about the rest of you but I have thought about it before, if
someone's car broke and they needed a ride to finish competing for the day
would I offer up my car? Truth is we probably all would like to think that we
would. Usually we never find out because our beasts are pretty reliable
despite the thrashings we inflict on them regularly and thus we have very few
mechanicals.
It had never occurred to me that I would be the one in the position to need
that ride, especially at something like a National Tour.
First, Lolita and I were NOT going to the Tour (way too busy)
Bryan asked if he could co-drive our car and if we would go. OK ,we decided it
was possible, but only Sat & Sun.
So we ended up finagling Friday off and arrived Friday AM in time to help out
here and there before the practice course opened. With three drivers the car
only made eleven runs total on practice, we were all  busy getting things
ready for Sat..
Saturday AM, early at the gas station right off base somebody's car smells.
(sure glad it's not us)
RAIN
CSL runs in the first heat-Did I mention it RAINED? Everything is wet even
when it's not raining.
Exit rain, enter wind, begin dry. By third heat when CS runs we are starting
to see dry spots. Bryan runs and returns to grid. I run and when I come back
to grid everyone has discovered that grid is dry except under the little green
car where there is green water.
We know the paint does not run.(no happy ending yet, it's the core not a hose,
the car is done for the day at least)
(This is where it gets cool)
While I am frantically trying to find the leak while on a 5 min. mechanical,
Peter Thana explains to Jake Hodges (that would be the same Jake that I am
locked in a points battle for first in the region with) that it is legal for a
competitor to change vehicles in class.
(This is where it gets REALLY cool)
So Jake offers up his car for me to run in!!!!!!!!!!!
(Oh BTW -There is a whole 'nother story about Novice to our sport/club, Rich
Parker overhearing all of this and offering up his Miata for Bryan to run in
AND to Lolita if we can't get repaired overnight!)
So I graciously accept, clear it with Grid and go out and get spanked by
Jake.
(What you thought I was gonna be able to beat him in his car? Get over it)
I'm still grinning and it ain't from getting our car together enough to run
Sunday,
and it ain't from getting into Trophy position at a Tour,
It definitely is from knowing that Jake will whip butt on me before the season
is over and that despite knowing that, I'll still be doing everything I can to
make him better too.
I'll buy my own beer-I love you guys
MJ