Re: FW: ABS and "straightening"

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: FW: ABS and "straightening"
From: Smokerbros@aol.com
Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 11:27:17 EDT
In a message dated 5/17/03 9:27:53 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
rbrown7@covad.net writes:

> Also, many ABS systems have lateral accelerometers which more aggressively
> reduce rear brake effort when cornering.  This helps keep the car from
> swapping ends if you stomp the brakes in a corner but also makes the car
> difficult to point in using  trailing braking.

Depending on the car, DSC (Dynamic Stability Control, in BMW-speak, other
acronyms may apply) can also step in and try to straighten it out.  If DSC
thinks you are trying to brake hard, and the yaw sensor and steering angle
sensor inputs don't tell it that you're also trying to turn, it will grab the
brakes on one side and straighten you out to "help you."

I know a guy (American) who had been cruising on the autobahn in a new 500 SL
at about 150 (mph) for a couple of hours, and came down an off ramp too fast.
 90 seemed like a crawl, but a VW Polo ahead was doing 40.  He mashed the
brake pedal and the rear stepped out, but ABS/DSC snapped it back straight
before he could correct with the wheel, and he slowed to the Polo's speed in
time.  I think he needed a break to let his heart rate calm down, though...

Charlie