Re: Terribly expensive sport

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Terribly expensive sport
From: Larrybsp@aol.com
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 12:42:10 EDT
from:larrybsp@aol.com (Larry Stark)

             I find this thread interesting. Having built and Solo II'd a
variety of cars over 15 years I find cost is relative. I moved from Solo II to
SCCA / NASA road racing and the cost has gone through the roof. Interestingly
quite a few ex Solo II drivers have switched in the past year. Don Campbell is
driving a C5 Corvette in the American Le Mans Speed Vision series. Dave Morin,
Perry Kincy and the Van Waggenens's are running the NASA CMC series. I'm
running my Corvette in the SCCA ITE class. At drivers school I met Sean Breese
and
Arie Villasol. At Laguna Seca I ran into Mike and Karen Bernstein and Dave
Jalen but most of you have no idea who they are. Most Solo II cars can be
reverted back to street configuration and sold at fair market value. Once
you've
built a car to SCCA road race rules, that's it. Any residual value is gone.
Something about a gutted interior and full welded in roll cage give it away.
Other
costs include new tires every event along with the need to have a set of
mounted spare rain tires ($2000).. Add new brake pads every event and rotors
every
other event, $130 - $150 a day for race gas, $200 - $300 per day race entries,
wheel bearings on a regular basis. Add in the need to buy and carry spare
parts, Alternators, water pumps, brake pads, brake lines, etc.  Don't forget
the
extra tool box you have to put together. Then you add blown engines at $8000
each. I just lunched a $4000 ZF6 transmission. Don't forget having to replace
cracked windshields 2-3 times a  season. Add in the need for a trailer, a
storage place, a tow truck or SUV, etc.

Like I said its relative. Maybe my next sport will be something less
expensive, like yacht racing :):):)

                                                  Larry