Re: Sunday's turnout

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Sunday's turnout
From: "John J. Stimson-III" <john@harlie.idsfa.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 13:59:27 -0700
On Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 10:30:58AM -0700, Chris Warner wrote:
> I would pass on the fun runs if we could use the extra sunlight to allow 4
> runs each.
>
> chris

We could switch to 4 runs instead of fun runs only if we could
*predictably and reliably* finish on time.  Some events have problems
that create big delays, and some don't.  Fun runs are an optional time
block that can be done if there is time, or not done if there isn't
time.  When you decide to give everyone more runs, you have to commit to
that at the beginning of the day before you know the turnout or what
delays you will have.

I don't know if you were around for the event a couple years ago where
we started out with 4 runs each, then got way behind schedule.  The
afternoon groups were cut to 3 runs each *and* had to run and work in
the dark after standing around all day waiting for the "morning"
groups to finish.  I think the event ran until around 8pm.  Those
people were very, very, unhappy, and the event chairs felt really bad
about it.  That event was the trigger for switching to 3 runs and
requiring SCCA membership to run.

--

john@idsfa.net                                              John Stimson
http://www.idsfa.net/~john/                              HMC Physics '94