Re: Paint protection question...

To: "Paul S \(#51 STS\)" <ibisbike@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Paint protection question...
From: Rex Tener <rex_tener@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 16:53:29 -0700
At 04:37 PM 10/23/2003 -0700, Paul S \(#51 STS\) wrote:
>OK, so the Si is no more (details on that later), and
>as such I am in the market for a new toy.  One thing I
>am considering for the new car is that 3-m style clear
>paint protection film for the front end of the car.

I investigated this last year as a potential business to start.

>But A) I don't know what it's called...I'm sure it has
>a trademarked name.

3M makes most of the film the various paint protection film (PPF) companies
use.  The biggest brand name is Stongard <http://www.stongard.com>.

>B) I don't know if it's worth the effort and money,
>anyone have a testimonial that they can share?  Good
>or bad I want to hear about it.

Josh Sirota had it on his M Coupe.  I believe he would have it on his M3 if
he could find it at a reasonable cost locally.  I will most likely install
it on my next new car myself.

>C) Can anyone recomend a shop on the Peninsula who
>does this?

There is a place in Mountain View that cuts their own.  I believe they did
the graphics on Derek Butts' IS300.  The wanted about $1000 to do a new
BMW, that is when I started investigating others and practicing installing
it myself.

Rex