Re:Quicker steering desired

To: Eljssp8@aol.com
Subject: Re:Quicker steering desired
From: "Richard Urschel" <osp13@mybluelight.com>
Date: 28 Oct 2003 17:27:22 -0000
On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 11:44:08 EST Eljssp8@aol.com wrote:
> Hi:
>
> My stock steering wheel has a diameter of 15", if I change to a 14" steering
> wheel, would the effect be one of faster response?

The amount you would need to move the wheel would be reduced 6-2/3rds percent
with an equal increase in effort required to do so. The reduction in rim travel
would be 0.8" per foot. Changes in your reaction time to needed steering input
would most likely depend on whether you are more or less comfortable with the
new steering wheel.

I have a 10" steering wheel and tires sixty percent wider than stock with no
power steering. I never have to take my hands off the wheel while on course but
if I autocross four times in nine days, I can't lift my arms on day ten.
I prefer this to the bone bruises I would get from the solid medal door grab
handle with a stock diameter wheel.
Your mileage will vary.

Sign up for Internet Service under $10 dollars a month, at
http://isp.BlueLight.com