Re: How accurate are our timers? Part II

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net, "John A. Carriere"
Subject: Re: How accurate are our timers? Part II
From: John Kelly <76067.1750@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 13:41:08 -0400
John,
        As I was a member of the SEB when it happened, I can tell you that
in 1975 Marc Gerstein was conducting the first SEB meeting of the year and
the first one that I ever attended. It was held in Reading, PA, home of
several Pennsylvania Hillclimb Association (PHA) hillclimb events. I was
newly appointed to the SEB and "represented" everybody in SCCA west of the
Mississippi River.
        Mr. Gerstein, the SEB chair in 1975 and recent winner of SCCA's
Wolf Barnato Award expressed the thought timing to .01 wasn't acuurate
enough and many times we saw times posted where several drivers attained
matching times down to the second decimal. I had seen that happen at
several SF-Area events. He proposed .001 and I voted for it.
        It was only later that I learned not many timer manufacturers could
not deliver and that, at that time, the third decimal in many cases was "at
random."

        This past year I turned in a pair of times at an event that matched
down to the third decimal. My other run wasn't even close. Timing was by a
JA Circuits timer.

        Are you priming us for a new product? <G>

--John Kelly