RE: thoughts regarding a "cheap" autocross car

To: "Rob Lipton" <RLipton@prev.org>, <ba-autox@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: thoughts regarding a "cheap" autocross car
From: "Thana, Peter {HTS~Palo Alto}" <peter.thana@roche.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 17:55:34 -0800
Well I've always been a big fan of the Mk2 (91-95) MR2 N/A as an E Stock
car.  Cheap and easy to setup, bulletproof, carries tires, best damned
handling autox car I've ever driven (I sure do miss mine).  Not the
class killer it once was (with the M1 1.8 Miatas in ES now), but still a
strong car locally what with that stump pulling tractor engine and
mid-engined traction out of corners.

At 6'4 it would be a tight fit, but not as bad as a Miata.  Depends on
your torso/leg ratio whether it's possible with a helmet.  You would
need a hardtop though, significantly more headroom than the T-top or
sunroof configurations.  And those are hard to find.

Other than that, look at GS and HS.  You definitely won't fit in the
current Celica (I'm 5'9 and have to tilt my head with a helmet).  Maybe
an old Celica?  '91 BMW 318is?  V6 F-body?  Neon (Hi Barry!)?

In HS a new Mini wouldn't be considered "cheap" I guess.  You could
always try an '89-'91 Civic Si which gives you the later option of going
to $T$.

Peter