thoughts for car

To: "Rob Lipton" <RLipton@prev.org>
Subject: thoughts for car
From: "PAUL TIBBALS" <pault151@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 22:52:30 -0800
Rob said,
<From: "Rob Lipton" <RLipton@prev.org>
Subject: thoughts regarding a "cheap" autocross car

 Hi all, I thought I had a decent car to campaign this year,
unfortunately, it looks like things have "blown up" on the runway, any
thoughts as to what might work as an autocross car, cheaper is good, but
one  I could use to get around town on occasion, this would not be a
primary car.  Another wrinkle is that I'm 6'4" so miatas and the like
are a bit of a struggle, although they would obviously be a good
solution otherwise, thanks,

Sorry to hear that the CRX didn't work out!  If you want to send details
offline I'd be interested, or I'll look you up at an event....  But engines
tuned well beyond stock limits do have a tendency to go bang, depending on the
engine and builder (and user).

IIRC you're taller in the leg dept. than I at the same height, which would be
backed up by your fitting in a CRX.  Miatas look like clown cars with me in
them.  FWIW Barry's Neon wouldn't be a bad choice, they have loads of front
headroom!  Not sure what your price range is - John's comment of course means,
"How fast do you want to spend?"

I don't know the full story about the ACR model's alignment and what is
considered """stock""" (sic).  I'm sure that he does.  I seem to recall that
the club racer model was with the factory's permission given what would to all
others seem ridiculously wide ranges of factory alignment settings.  As long
as one is fully versed in these specifics (-2.4 camber?!) and able to defend
them with factory documents, then you have potentially "the racer's edge" in
terms of handling setup at least.

And when you get really ambitious, drop in the SRT-4 motor, go street mod, and
really tear up the place....  Can you say Whiplash?

Cheap is often found in others' old racers.  Terry got a good deal on 'Killer'
the Civic Si.  And many racers will be forthright and honest with you, since
they are staying in the same "neighborhood" though changing classes.

PaulT