help with thinking through car problem

To: <ba-autox@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: help with thinking through car problem
From: "Rob Lipton" <rlipton@prev.org>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 23:55:20 -0500
Hi all,

again, I wanted to thank everyone who replied to me about another autox
car, very helpful, I might have one identified.

Another problem is what to do with my  1991 Honda CRX SI.  Here is the
situation, it broke down in LA, the supercharger seized and one of the
cylinders in a built, rebello engine is weak, a leak down showed that it
was at 72%  air was being expelled through the dip stick.  The people
who have the car are really good honda engine builders and tuners.  I'm
at a loss as to what to do, I've been given some good advice on this,
but wanted more input.  I think I want to get rid of the car,  I've had
it 4 months, in that time, its mostly been in the shop for mods or
repairs.  The car has a quaife differential, coil overs, tokico
illuminas, a new zdyne engine management system.  At this point, I've
spent a fair amount buying the car and modifying it and wonder how much
more I should do, or not, I really want to like this car, but it seems
like getting ready to run will cost about double what I paid, approx.
10k and its mostly been a very bad experience

here are the choices:

1)  slap a normal intake manifold on the broken engine, drive it back up
here gently and then sell it for whatever I can get, have the
supercharger in a box, given that away, the car has lots of great things
on it and is in really good shape.  $300.00 Cheapest alternative, but
probably hardest to sell.

2)  Swap a new engine in, not fix the supercharger, so I get a driveable
car and can give someone a supercharger in a box, about $1000.00
dollars, easier to sell

3)  Swap the engine, get the supercharger rebuilt, the engine tuned,
about $2300.00, even easier to sell

and generally, should I keep it?  is this an abnormal turn of affairs,
or something people deal with all the time.

thanks,

Rob