Re: help with thinking through car problem

To: "Rob Lipton" <rlipton@prev.org>
Subject: Re: help with thinking through car problem
From: Kevin Stevens <autox@pursued-with.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 22:17:43 -0800
On Jan 26, 2005, at 20:55, Rob Lipton wrote:

> Another problem is what to do with my  1991 Honda CRX SI.  Here is the
> situation, it broke down in LA, the supercharger seized and one of the
> cylinders in a built, rebello engine is weak, a leak down showed that
> it
> was at 72%  air was being expelled through the dip stick.  The people
> who have the car are really good honda engine builders and tuners.  I'm
> at a loss as to what to do, I've been given some good advice on this,
> but wanted more input.  I think I want to get rid of the car,  I've had
> it 4 months, in that time, its mostly been in the shop for mods or
> repairs.  The car has a quaife differential, coil overs, tokico
> illuminas, a new zdyne engine management system.  At this point, I've
> spent a fair amount buying the car and modifying it and wonder how much
> more I should do, or not, I really want to like this car, but it seems
> like getting ready to run will cost about double what I paid, approx.
> 10k and its mostly been a very bad experience
>

> here are the choices:
>
> 1)  slap a normal intake manifold on the broken engine, drive it back
> up
> here gently and then sell it for whatever I can get, have the
> supercharger in a box, given that away, the car has lots of great
> things
> on it and is in really good shape.  $300.00 Cheapest alternative, but
> probably hardest to sell.
>
> 2)  Swap a new engine in, not fix the supercharger, so I get a
> driveable
> car and can give someone a supercharger in a box, about $1000.00
> dollars, easier to sell
>
> 3)  Swap the engine, get the supercharger rebuilt, the engine tuned,
> about $2300.00, even easier to sell
>
> and generally, should I keep it?  is this an abnormal turn of affairs,
> or something people deal with all the time.

Don't drag it up to the bay area just to sell it - it's in the ricer
capital of the world right now!  Put it on craigslist in LA/Orange
County, especially if you have someone down here to act as your agent.
If you absolutely want it out of your name by a certain time, put it on
eBay without a minimum.

My personal opinion is that, if you don't enjoy the car, get rid of it.
  Given the mods, this isn't basic transportation, it's a hobby.  Why
put time/money into it if you aren't having fun?

KeS